Friday, March 11, 2011

A love affair with Shiitake

At work, I have a Malaysian colleague who loves to cook. She always has nice lunches and we often exchange stories about food from our home country. She's also a big fan of shiitake mushrooms, something  I like to eat but have never tried to cook. Let's just say that shiitake has always intimated me, I didn't have any clue how to use it. Haha How weird is that? 

Always helpful, Peilin explained how to prepare shiitake and even brought me a small pack so I can give it a try. But I never got to use it, I probably lost the pack when we moved to a new house. 

A couple of weeks ago, Peilin brought some dumplings that had shiitake in it and it tasted oh so heavenly. It was similar to the dumplings we often get from the Chinese restaurant. So finally, I decided to give shiitake a chance :) Brought a small pack last week and made some dumplings which tasted soooo good the hubby and the boys loved it. Pity I didn't take photos.

I had some shiitake left from last week's dumplings and decided to make braised pork with shiitake mushrooms, broccoli, oyster sauce and sesame oil.

This was today's lunch.


I googled shiitake and learned that it's a good anti-oxidant, has lots of Vitamin D and is good for the heart. WOW! 

I guess shiitake will now be a regular at my house :-)




2 comments:

Gracy said...

professional kaayo ang dating sa imo lunch, panghatag ug recipe kay naa koy dried shiitake mushroom sa balay. =)

Tuttie said...

haha murag true..wala man koy recipe ani, gipangsagol ra nako tanan. i-email taka haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog