Sunday, November 16, 2008

Yesterday, Vince and I were at the mall to while away time while Papa was in school. We were enjoying a light lunch when we heard a band and the people started to gather around the stairs. It was Santa’s band, happily playing Christmas carols and Santa obliging photo ops for the kids. I had mixed feelings, happy that I got to hear Christmas songs but sad that we are spending our first Christmas away from our loved ones.

Vince: Mama, it’s not Santa. That’s only a man, pretending to be Santa!

Mama: Oh? Really? But there is a Santa, diba?

Vince: No mama. They’re just pretending.

Eeeek! How does a mother deal with the fact that her 5 yr old already knows the truth about Santa?
A few weeks ago, I have been eyeing a nice Christmas stocking which I had planned to hang for Vince come Christmas. As a child, I have always looked forward to December 24 when we had to hang my Papa’s office socks and wake up the following day checking the various goodies that were placed inside. It was not much- mostly just junk food like Hi-C, pretzels, cheap chocolates and biscuits but I remember feeling very special receiving them. Even after I found out the truth about Santa, I still enjoyed hanging the stockings and pretended not to know anything for the benefit of my younger sisters.

I am just so disappointed that the little one found out this early. BUT I am not giving up. I’ll find a way to incorporate the ‘stocking’ into our Christmas activity this year…

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog