Friday, January 18, 2008

the world beckons

Last year, my officemates resigned in droves to try their luck in Dubai. Early this week, when the year has barely started, another one in my department left to follow the same route. And there are talks of quite a number leaving the company this year. I already lost count how many ex-officemates I have in Dubai. All I know is that six of them are my son’s godparents and they have abundantly showered him with gifts and moolah.

Just when everybody is setting their sights on Dubai, a friend got her immigrant visa for Canada yesterday and will be leaving the country in May 2008. Her name is in my list of prayer requests for various visa grants. There were originally 9 in that list, and now it’s down to 5. And I just started praying for them 8 months ago!

At my high school yahoo group and my Friendster account, a big number of my contacts/friends are scattered all over the globe. Ireland, New Zealand, Hawaii, UK, the US, and the list goes on. Judging from the pictures posted, they all seem to be living great lives.

With the vast opportunities available for professionals in the international market and the palpable lack thereof in our country, there is really no stopping Pinoys from leaving. I would not even venture into discussing the imminent “brain drain”. All of us see that coming. Oh well, not that my opinion matters, though.

On a personal level, I am perturbed with what’s happening. Is this just some temporary hype that we are willingly submitting ourselves into? Or is the Philippines really going to the dogs and if we stay, we’re pitifully going down with it? Will it really be a greener pasture out there? Or maybe the pasture indeed looks greener from the other side? How will my son adapt to a new place? Will I even have more time with hubby considering that we’ll be slaving ourselves to buy a new house, car and pay our start up debts all over again?

Question after question sometimes rouse me from a dreamless slumber. Questions that need outright answers as the whole wide world beckons.

2 comments:

Nel said...

Haaay.. sis...

Grabe na gyud ang kalibutan uy. hehehe. Sige lang, God will show us the answers, ONE at a Time.

NEW Business nako is ticket office. sa ako kuha tickets sis ha, sa next trip nimo.. hehehehe..

Tuttie said...

hi sis,

yeah, so much to do...plenty of places to see..hehe things will fall into their rightful places, in His own perfect time..

kung business trip sis, ang company gapalit sa among accredited travel agency..sige lang if personal trip sa imo ko palit..tagaan ko nimo discount ha? hehe

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog