Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Speech

Vince arrived from school last week with a huge announcement.


Vince: Mama, guess what? I’ve been chosen to represent my class in the school’s speech competition!!!


Mama: Hey, that’s great! Well done, kuya! That’s amazing!


I gave him a tight hug. Deep down, images of the huge task ahead was spinning in my head. Three weeks ago, I guided him in making his speech. I put an emphasis on “guided” because it was actually Vince who came up with ideas for his speech. I just made a few tweaks, coached him when to pause and stress words and he was ready. He was sad when he came home…

Vince: Mama, Ms Garrity said I made a very good speech. She liked that I waited for everyone to get settled before I started. I made it to the next round!


Mama: Yey! That’s great, kuya! I knew you’d make it!


Vince: But I don’t want to do it again..Ah! I know! I will not make a good speech next time so I don’t win!

How does a mom react to that? Of course, I made a long speech about how we’re all supposed to do our best all the time, blah, blah, blah.

I think he put my ‘speech’ to heart because he prepared his speech with his Papa with so much gusto and practiced with his Tita Anne over and over again.

And so he came home today with news that he’s been chosen to represent his class.

What a proud moment! And I am happy that he’s overcome his shyness. He’s more confident now and enjoys school so much.

He’s come a loooong way from his prep days at Pineapple Country School.



At Pineapple Country School when Vince was only 3 yrs old.

2 comments:

HiggledyPiggledy said...

Yehey!!! good job kuya vince!

Gracy said...

wohoo!!!! go Kuya Vince!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog