Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Ball

When I moved here, I was horrified when I found out that we were required to participate in a volleyball tournament, play actual volleyball, not just join as cheerers. Heavens, I have an aversion to anything that looked like a ball, including something as small and harmless as a pingpong ball. A volleyball would drive me nuts!

But on that fateful day in October 2006, in the name of ‘cooperation’ and lest I be called a coward, I put up a brave front, walked up to the court with my officemates, while trying to keep myself from turning around and running home. I broke into a cold sweet when the referee whistled to start the game and I can almost feel the color draining from my face. I must have been a funny sight because my teammates kept assuring me that it’s going to be okay. Ha! Ha! I don’t remember exactly how the game went but we actually won and they said I made it happen. Yeah, beginner’s luck you know.

That was a year ago. There were several tournaments after that, Footsal (football sa salog) which is our own version of football, and two more seasons of volleyball. I may not totally like volleyball but the games have actually served it’s purpose of developing camaraderie among the employees. After each game, all players partake of the food and we get to exchange stories about work, family and life in general. Tensions in the office are minimized as meetings start with a rundown of the latest team standings. It has also become a bonding activity for families as dependents cheer for the teams of their family members. The younger kids get to hang out and play in between sets. For me who’s a newbie, it made me put a face to the names on papers that pass by my office everyday. It has made the adjustment easier and it made me appreciate the people in my community.

I am still very far from being good. In fact, I can still count with my fingers the number of times I have hit the ball but I am slowly embracing the idea that one day, before I retire, I will eventually learn how to play the game. Ehem!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog